Wednesday, July 8, 2009

GuGuLeTu. What a name!

Today we went to the Guguletu Township after class. This Township is somewhat economically developed. I hesitate when I say the word “developed” because what I really mean is that between the shacks, there are “shops” (Tire and exhaust services or cell phone repair shack). However, I did see an ATM machine, which means this area has to have some sort of money. I walked by 5 security guards (holding huge guns) filling the machine with mucho dinero. I questioned why there was a freakin SWAT TEAM around for that process and I was told that last week when they were filling the machine, a gang shot and killed the driver (and ran off rich). Oh, and along the same lines, Amy Beihl was killed in this exact Township, (whoever doesn’t know her, she was an American who came here for a community service project in '92 and after her death, her parents started a foundation in her name helping to reduce community violence in Townships.) Anyway, enough with the Negative Nancy!… On the brighter side, within this Township is a famous – very famous outdoor BBQ joint called Mzoni’s Meat. Braaing (what Africans call BBQing) is very big in South Africa. This country is well known for their love of meat, so if you’re a vegetarian, good luck finding dinner. When we got there, we saw a group of people playing music on the Marimba (wooden xylophone) and people singing and dancing to the music. Along the side of the Braa were stray dogs who haven’t been washed, neutered, or most likely pet in years eating scraps and chicken bones from the ground. Scavengers!



Tonight we're having a “pot luck” dinner, (not that I’m really in the mood to consume any more food), but I’m in charge of making Sangria (thank God). So we’re heading to the grocery store – Woolworths. I’ll try to check in tomorrow- Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment